About EPI in Pancreatic Cancer
What You Should Know: Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) in Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic Cancer Overview
Cause of cancer-related
death in the United States1
Etiologies of EPI in Pancreatic Cancer
Pancreatic atrophy or fibrosis secondary to tumor(s)6
- Reduction of glandular tissue
- Fibrosis in the remaining pancreatic remnant
- Alteration of pancreatic anatomy
- Extensive denervation following lymph node dissection
Incidence of EPI in Pancreatic Cancer
In patients with resectable pancreatic cancer,
EPI occurs in 46-68% of patients prior to surgery,9-11
increasing to 55-89%of patients after surgery9,10,12,13
1. American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2022. https://www.cancer.org/research/cancer-facts-statistics/all-cancer-facts-figures/cancer-facts-figures-2022.html. Accessed January 23, 2023. 2. Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Types of pancreatic cancer. https://pancan.org/facing-pancreatic-cancer/about-pancreatic-cancer/types-of-pancreatic-cancer/. Published September 29, 2021. Accessed January 23, 2023. 3. SEER Cancer Stat Facts: Pancreatic Cancer. National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD, https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/pancreas.html. Accessed January 23, 2023. 4. Rahib L, Smith BD, Aizenberg R, Rosenzweig AB, Fleshman JM, Matrisian LM. Cancer Res. 2014;74(11):2913-21. 5. Vujasinovic M et al. Nutrients. 2017;9(3).pii:E183. 6. Ghaneh P, Neoptolemos J P. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999;880:308-318. 7. Bartel MJ, Asbun H, Stauffer J, Raimondo M. Dig Liver Dis. 2015;47(12):1013-1020. 8. Perbtani Y, Forsmark CE. F1000Res. 2019;8:F1000 Faculty Rev-1991. 9. Sikkens EC et al. Br J Sure. 2014;101(2):109-113. 10. Belyaev O, Herzog T, Chromik AM, Meurer K, Uhl W. Langenbecks Arch Surgery. 2013;398(4):547-555. 11. Matsumoto J, Traverso LW. J Gastrointest Surg. 2006;10(9);1225-1229. 12. Halloran CM et al. Pancreatology. 2011;11(6):535-545. 13. Roeyen G, Jansen M, Ruyssinck L, et al. HPB (Oxford). 2016;18(12):1017-1022.
Expert opinion on practical diagnosis and management of EPI.
PERT Dosing, Administration, and Follow-up.
Learn about EPI in one of the leading causes of cancer-related deaths in the U.S.
An AGA online survey shedding light on EPI.
Access an in-depth review of EPI.
Gastrointestinal upset? Nutritional deficiencies? Find out if it's caused by the pancreas.
Are you looking for an interactive way to review and discover more about EPI?
Start screening patients with CP who may be at risk for EPI.